A comprehensive renovation of ground floor interior and exterior public areas at a 10.69 acre, 8 building public housing development. During initial design phases, we identified an opportunity to significantly increase security and enhance the quality of interior spaces by replacing broad areas of masonry walls with a transparent envelope material in addition to other treatments. The benefit of these simple actions permitted views in and out of public areas, enhancing safety by expanding the tenant’s “defensible space” and by flooding building interiors with natural light. The distinctive design and innovative detailing further expanded the impact of this gesture and enhanced the overall quality of this 1950’s era development. This renovation project demonstrates our commitment to successfully address program requirements while also looking to appropriately transform the environment in unstated ways.